Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A New Adventure

The naturalist Wendell Berry wrote, "Always...when you leave familiar ground and step off alone into a new place there will be, along with the feelings of curiosity and excitement, a little nagging of dread. It is the ancient fear of the unknown, and it is the first bond with the wilderness you are going into."

This has become one of my favorite quotes. During the past few years my life has been made up of unfamiliar wildernesses: graduating from college, moving to Salt Lake, starting a new job, and then deciding to change careers completely and move across the country to Boston to attend photography school. And now, with school over, I'm stepping out into another unknown wilderness. I don't know yet where I'm going, and along with the excitement and curiosity, there is that little nagging fear of the unknown.

No comments: